Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Metal Album of All Time?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #168 (permalink)
Vertigo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I've been learning to appreciate Master of Puppets a lot more recently. It doesn't have the individual songs to compete with Ride the Lightning or And Justice for All, but it does have a near perfect album flow. It hits you in the face with "Battery", then the epic thrash of the title track, then it slows down at just the right point to batter you with the mid-paced but heavy as sin "The Thing that Should not Be", and then ends the A-side with "Sanitarium". The B-side follows the same idea as the A-side, it hits you with straight up thrash with "Disposable Heroes", then throws another slow, heavy, but absolutely vicious number with "Leper Messiah", then the instrumental "Orion" to give you a breather, before finally putting you out of your misery with "Damage Inc".

At no point are you allowed to get bored and the songs never run into each other and turn into a blur where you can't remember which song you're on. Every song is memorable and perfectly placed. I don't think I'd call it the best metal album ever, but Metallica were certainly perfectly in control of their craft from start to finish on that album.
Agreed. I love that the whole album, including the cover, continues the idea of an underlying theme that Ride The Lightning did, whereas the former was focused on the subject of death, Master of Puppets was about control. I still think that this album has some of the best lyrics James Hetfield has written.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote