Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #75 (permalink)
Zer0

The Wake - Something That No One Else Could Bring (1987)

Track Listing:
1. Gruesome Castle
2. Pale Spectre
3. Furious Sea
4. Plastic Flowers

Twee pop is a marmite musical style if there ever was one. I myself have a love/hate affair with it. Perfect twee pop (who the fuck came up with that anyway?) exists on a very, very thin line; those on the wrong side of it sound a tad cringe-worthy, some bands even giving me the impression that they are fronted by Rita from Arrested Development. But those just on the right side of it have the potential to make some great music that can be part joyous and part heart-breaking to listen to. Thankfully on this EP The Wake are on the right side, in fact they pretty much nailed it and created a template for a lot of bands to try and replicate. Released two years after their second album for Factory Records, Here Comes Everybody, they somehow managed to streamline everything that was great about that album into one fifteen minute record while also giving something a little different. In a way it's a transition from the synth-heavy sound of their earlier releases to a more guitar-based sound, with some synth of course, but still retaining the haziness of Here Comes Everybody.

One thing that strikes you when you pay attention to the lyrics is how odd yet brilliant they are, in fact some of the lyrics are just downright bizarre! Make what you want out of “Why did I sleep with that filthy old man, why did I shake his hand” from ‘Furious Sea. It’s all done in a tongue-in-cheek way and the band don’t seem to take themselves as seriously as they did on Here Comes Everybody. ‘Gruesome Castle’, ‘Plastic Flowers’ and in particular the light and upbeat Carolyn Allen-fronted ‘Pale Spectre’ are downright infectious, with all the bittersweet boy-girl melodies and guitar jangle you could ever need. Yes a lot of bands have done this but The Wake did it before most of them and they did it better. ‘Furious Sea’ on the other hand sounds darker and somewhat disturbing compared to the rest of the record, but still sounds glorious.

You know what, here's the whole EP, enjoy.
Spoiler for Something That No One Else Could Bring:

Last edited by Zer0; 07-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote