Music Banter - View Single Post - To see music
Thread: To see music
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleknowitall View Post
There was a guy on Britain's Got talent a few years ago who could see music and learned to play piano on his own incredibly well through it. I get reminded of things when I listen to songs, I'm definitely taken somewhere and being musically minded I'd say I get far more into a piece of music than the likes of my girlfriend who's idea of enjoying music is having the radio on quietly in the car as a bit of background noise. But I think 80 % of the people who say they're seeing things when they listen to music in this way are just talking bull**** and the rest are harboring some sort of mental or physical illness that allows for their mind to objectify a piece of music in this way....
Interesting perspective. Would you consider synesthesia to be an illness? I'd imagine the guy from Britain's Got Talent doesn't think so. But it is a rare "condition." I think it has more to do with giftedness or cognitive functioning than mental illness.

Reminds me of X-Men vs. regular humans. I can just see it. Synesthetes holding signs saying "We don't need a cure!" haha.
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote