Music Banter - View Single Post - To see music
Thread: To see music
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It doesn't bother me when they're all the same in a headline or advertisement, because it's not as strong with whole words as with individual letters. But it bothers me when each letter is singled out in a different colour.

I once tried to make a chart in photoshop of the alphabet as I coloured it, and found that the shades had to be very precise to "feel" accurate. It isn't enough for instance, to say that M was red, because I have an exact idea of which shade of red it should be.
I actually agree. My example above was generalized. Plus, it doesn't take into consideration textures, shine, or personality.

In my name, the individual letters would look somewhat like this:

(Enough to give me a headache)

But all together, the word looks more like this, with the blue/grey color of the J affecting all the other letters, creating a more subtle overall picture. Stronger letters, like the a's and t's can withstand being affected, but "weaker" letters, like h, fade into the background. The letters tend to get less clear further from the first letter.

And that's without the complexity of the backdrop, which would be impossible to actually replicate.

I also see M as red; a really saturated, deep "cool" red (more on the blue side than the yellow side).

Do you still have the chart? It's easy to get frustrated trying to create a good representation. The example I gave seems incomplete for me. If only there were videotapes for the mind.
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote