Music Banter - View Single Post - Bourbon & Rosewater by V.M. Bhatt and Jerry Douglas
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

At first I thought I`d be able to distinguish the Indian Rosewater from the American Bourbon, but that plan only lasted a couple of bars. In any case, the strength of this album, as already mentioned, is the way the different elements are so cleverly blended. Every track sounds like a true collaboration – made me think of listening to an anecdote being told by an affectionate couple, each contributing a detail to help the story along.

As Frownland says, there`s a good balance of tempos, and that`s a neat observation about the "bookend" tracks. I was ok with the Stained Glass track that you mentioned though, Frownland ; to me the weakest song was Bent Notes, with its chirpy little hook, while a favourite was the slower-paced Resurrection which has a touch of cello or something I suspect.

As both musicians were new to me, I checked out how they sounded solo, and was surprised to see how similar their chosen instruments are.

Pt Vishwa Mohan Bhatt at SPICMACAY UCI - YouTube

Little Medley / Jerry Douglas - YouTube

If nothing else, these clips give some indication of why the standard of playing on Bourbon and Rosewater is so high. Another top-quality recommendation from stp !