Music Banter - View Single Post - Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend
Groupie

Why are people saying this is Hip-Hop? There is a little bit of rapping, maybe 10%, but the vast majority is R&B.

As for the album. Out of the 17 tracks. About 4 are just those troll tracks that are just 40 seconds of car sounds and distant talking about nothing. A couple instrumentals, the only one note worthy is White (Ft. John Mayer). When you look at the real meat of the album, you just get alot of boring and unmemorable tracks that seem to go on forever. Example - Pyramids 10 MINUTES! THERE IS NOTHING TO THAT SONG WHY IS IT 10 MINUTES? Also the Earl Sweatshirt was preety bad imo, he sounds like he just woke up and only wanted to do one take. So that goes on for about 25min. But then you get to Bad Religion. This is the first time you get something actually memorable. I love the lyrics, and the production serves the mood of the song well. This is followed by Pink Matter (Ft. Andre 3000), a slightly above average song that is made amazing by the fantastic feature. Right after that you have Forrest Gump, my personal favorite off the album. I just love every single second of this damn song. Possibly the best song I've heard all year.

So in conclusion, the album is pretty uninteresting for the first 13 tracks, but then you have 3 tracks that blow all the others away it makes you wonder if they were made by a completely different person.

Final Score: 65% - It's hard to overlook the first half-hour mediocre songs.

This isn't where you write reviews is it?