Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest Debate in Rock N Roll History ?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Kids today don't know the Beatles.
Also, they are horse****.
I'm not going to assume anything and say all kids today know or don't know whom the Beatles are/were, but I think there might be more than you think that do know whom the Beatles are. Especially because there music is still accessible and there are a few indie/alt bands that have some Beatlesque sound to them, it would be easier for them to get into the Beatles music than some one in the 60's who liked the Beatles to get into music from 18th, or turn of the 19th century music - if you used the same time difference.

Think about it if disliking the Beatles is due to an emotional reaction to people liking the Beatles too much then it would seem the next generation would go in the the oppostie direction of that and think it's cool to like the Beatles as a counter-reaction of people hating the Beatles too much.

I wouldn't write off Amy Winehouse or Sade either, really none of us knows what the future will entail. They might be legendary in the future as some female Blues or Jazz singer from the 20s was legendary for people during the 70's. It is all speculation anyway, no one really knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
That doesn't mean that the bands they will influence will be any good though.

If we didn't have Syd Barrett or the Velvet Underground then Alternative music may not exist at all or if Mozart got drunk instead of writing music then we may not have any modern music.

I grew up with The Beatles and appreciate their music but they are not the be all and end all of music as we know it and people should accept criticism of their music like any other artistes.
I don't agree. Saying we wouldn't have Alternative Rock if there wasn't a Velvet Underground is basically the same thing as uber-Beatles-fans are condemn for saying. I'm not trying undermind the talent of Pink Floyd or VU or trying to say they didn't indeed influenced other bands but I find that statement identical to "Rock wouldn't exist without the Beatles." - same thought process different variables. VU:Alt-Rock::The Beatles:Rock

In both instances there were plenty of other bands before them, and some where along the line another band come would fill the void as the most important. Could we have Alternative without UV yes, the music and lyrical contend of the bands they influenced would just be different that's all. Before VU there was Frat Rock, Surf, and Garage Rock, all very influential to the next wave of bands who in turn influence Alt-Rock bands. In a world without VU, Dick Dale could be seen as the most important.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 07-15-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote