Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest Debate in Rock N Roll History ?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #63 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Can't we get through a week without someone mentioning the bloody Beatles!!!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWGUY562 View Post
it's hard to when they are the greatest group to ever do music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappas Utopia View Post
I'm very skeptical that Amy Winehouse or Sade will be even a blip on the influencing anyone in 20 years. The Beatles will be influencing artists 200 years from now
YAWN.....

To be quite frank I doubt there's a single facet of knowledge remaining in the Beatles/Stones debate that hasn't been fathomed in great depth, discussed, critiqued, analysed, outlived it's welcome and become boring.

Equally tiresome is the astonishment and disbelief from the Beatles fanatics that somehow not everyone thinks they are the best band ever to have existed as Urban rightly pointed out, and personally I'm throwing out that I'd even prefer Bon Jovi over the Beatles any day, even if Jon is as annoying as Paul, at least no-one cares if you don't like the guy and you can get away from them. No such luxuries for Beatle related boredom.

However, I suppose there's still no harm in looking a little bit at some of these comparisons, as long as it's not serious in any way.

Abbey Road vs. Sticky Fingers is the most interesting here, and of course in terms of album art I think the Beatles win hands down if we consider the Spanish cover for Sticky Fingers:

However such superficial grounds is the only aspect in which Abbey Road is superior. The defining song from Sticky Fingers is I think "Wild Horses", excellently described by an MB member a while ago as "six minutes of pure emotion". However the two most relevant are "Dead Flowers" and "Sister Morphine", which actually talk about drugs, don't pretend to be pleasant or comfortable in any way, they just talk about it.
"Why does the doctor have your face?" - I'm confused, what the fuck is happening to me?

I could go on, perhaps I might observe "Moonlight Mile" is one of my favourite closing tracks on an album, "Brown Sugar" with it's further uncomfortable references to slavery, really going quite out of the comfort zone for an album.

I must stress at this point though I do not care. The Stones who remain are all sad, ugly, old and shitty, there are indisputably better bands around.

The point is, we had fun. The point should not be that we're trying to impress people by affiliating ourselves with cult music acts that command a lot of respect. Neither should it be about trying to regurgitate other people's ideas, I doubt anyone genuinely believes that "Pet Sounds" is actually the best music ever made in the history of man.

Anyway I'm bored. Someone PM me obscene photos or something, I demand some entertainment and this discussion is not doing the trick.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote