Music Banter - View Single Post - Racism/Sexism/ect in Music
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #54 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
I'm not sure how you mean. Do I like the genre? Or their music outside of what I perceive to be homophobic content?
Not the genre but specifically Public Enemy, outside of lyrical content. You obviously like Janet Jackson so let me put this another way:
If Janet Jackson used words that offend you in her songs would you boycott her music? What if she occasionally mentioned in her songs how much she loves wearing the luxurious fur of helpless baby seals that were clubbed to death, for instance?

I'm not picking on you. Just so you know, even though some people (HHBH - I'm looking in your direction) would call me a pussy (another word that probably offends some people) because I won't listen to Cannibal Corpse simply because their lyrics are about violent rape of people who the band members can actually personally overpower physically. They celebrate murderous rape just for fun and lack of dignity and this bothers me on some level. And they're not even real rapists to my knowledge, it's just a gross out contest for them but they still say it and it still bothers me. I like Cannibal Corpse's music but the violent rape thing makes me want to boycott them. So I know where you're coming from. IF you like Public Enemy's music.