Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #1420 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well, they may be one of the great world financial superpowers, but that doesn't mean we can't slag off Germany's entrants into the Eurovision down the years. Sure, they've won once or twice --- oh, twice, I see: in your face, Angela Merkel! SEVEN times for us Irish, highest in history! --- but like most countries (Ireland included) they've had their share of “das turkeys”. Admittedly, we're going to travel back in time forty years to have a look at one, but rest assured, there are more waiting in the wings. I just fancied a seventies theme...

So here we are, in 1972, when I were but nine years old and wore thick, heavy glasses and had buck teeth (whaddya mean, I still do??) and there weren't much to do of a Saturday evening, t'internet a long way off from being invented, computers far from commonplace in the home and even video recorders a while away on the horizon. Hell, even Sky wasn't on the air! We had four channels, and when your viewing is that restricted, trust me, you'll watch just about anything! So the Eurovision was, at the time, quite an event and actually something to be looked forward to. Yeah, I know.

In fairness, this is not a terrible song, but then, so many of the songs were so mediocre back then who knows, it could have won. As it turns out, it seems this was singer Mary Roos's second stab at the contest, and it came third overall. Not bad. Her previous entry was two years prior and came second, so she must have been pretty well regarded at the time. Not my sort of song , but hey, I'll give it this much: it's upbeat and the orchestra are really getting into it. Looks like she had a reasonable music career too, and she kept entering for the Eurovision, though she never reached any higher than the first two times she made it. Looks like she was still recording up to recently, too.

1972 --- Germany (West Germany, at the time!) --- “Nur die Liebe Läßt uns Leben (Only love lets us live)” by Mary Roos