Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #1258 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Just out of curiosity has anyone else seen this show? It had a very brief run on MTV back in like... 2001 during the summer. I've never seen it on any channel since down in the U.S. but the show was incredibly popular in Canada on Teletoon's late-night "Detour" program, showing the same 13 episodes again and again, year after year. Seriously I have probably seen this entire series at least a dozen times just by watching the Detour when I was a teenager. Recently found a DVD copy at a used record store the other day and watched it over the last few nights, and given my current age as somewhat close to the characters of the show (I'm a little older), I'm absolutely amazed at how spot-on the depiciton of college life is in this show.

Here's just a list of some of the parallels I've been able to draw between my life and the episodes of the show.

Getting together with friends to play the board game RISK despite the fact that it takes all goddamn night, one person gets frustrated and flips the board, but we all agree to play again at some other designated time.

Trying to balance one's life with the new friends you meet at college with the old friends you still have from high school.

Underage drinking in bars

Getting a credit card which your friends then milk you mercilessly for as well as having to get a job to pay off the credit card while your friends lounge around and somehow still have more money than you.

Feeling embarrassed by your Freshman 15 and try to desperately get into shape for some stupid tradition involving nudity.

I mean these are pretty broad archetypes that most college students can relate to, but it's always nice when the writing actually truthfully reflects its subject rather than what the adults think they know about the subject. If you're of the college age, or still have fond memories of it, you'll defintely want to check out this show.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote