Music Banter - View Single Post - 'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver (12 dead, 38 wounded)
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #60 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
That makes a lot of sense. "kill me and my family, I'll even hand over my gun, I just don't want this to escalate." Bam, you're dead without even trying to fight back because you just didn't want things to "escalate". That's just being too damn passive. Relying on your ability to beg for your life probably isnt the best idea.
Also I suppose there's the consequences of the law regarding to protecting oneself - keeping a gun to protect you from thieves is one thing, but there are cases in England like the farmer sent to prison for murder because he pushed a ladder away from his window a thief was using to climb into his house and killed him. You might think that's an isolated case of terrible judicial decision making, but it's not.

Here, to perhaps apologise to Jansz for generalising about his country earlier (sorry!) this is where I wouldn't mind a bit more of the US tendency to favour the "get the fuck off my land" over the fucking human rights of the thief. I really think that they ought to lose the protection of the law when they break it but they don't. However, I think this is a whole world removed from the issue of the man shooting innocent people.

Also picking up on Unknown Soldier's point about the comparison of UK/US political parties, I really would be inclined to agree with Jansz that our conservatives are nowhere near as right wing as the republican party. Especially the current coalition which is very liberal, they still put considerable financial support the state education and healthcare and many other aspects show a fairly left in tendency (in US terms).
The main difference between Labour and the Conservatives at the moment (don't misunderstand me - they both have innumerable faults) is that the Labour party favour spending as a mechanism to solve the country's deficit, the Conservatives favour austerity. If I might be allowed a small personal moan, why must the conservatives go about making life so much more miserable for us working classes and middle classes, axing childcare benefits marooning single mothers, making students pay through the nose for tuition fees and raise taxes for everyone except them, whilst the very wealthy remain barely affected because that's where the conservative support comes from.
I know it gets very boring hearing the same complaints from everyone, but dear god I'm fed up of this country's wealthy being appointed MPs when they reach a certain weight, or whatever name they've invented for that system.
I hate the fact that civil servants like the head of the city council get knighthoods for getting the job as a "pat on the back".
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote