Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #11993 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
spoilers!

Yes yes but there is a line in the suspension of belief even for superhero movies and batman crossed it. It's not really a problem that unbelievable things happened, it's that they happened and they were poorly executed. Especially Batman's whole "escape from a metaphorical and literal 'rock bottom' after tough physical training and some sage advice from a wizened old man"... what a cringe-inducing cliche!
SPOILERS

That wizened old man was a morphine addict, wallowing in self sorrow, not totally run of the mill. I thought they adapted the idea of "Raz al ghuls pit of immortality" into a real world fairly smoothly. He didn't really get tough physical training as much as just some mild care. The whole point was that he should learn to fear death, this is not totally cliche, though i can see it from your perspective, still.

Quote:
But that wasn't really my main complaint though, I think if I had to pin down a major complaint it would be that TDKR tried too much. Joseph Gordon Lovett got a LOT of screentime for a role that was pretty uninteresting an ultimately kinda lame (the scene where they called him "Robin" was forced and inaccurate-- Robin's real name isn't ****ing Robin.) The second commissioner's little redemption arc? Completely silly and a waste of time. And then to have Catwoman, the original Commissioner, Bane, and Marion Cotillard's character all vying for their own screentime?
This is just a difference of opinion. I was actually surprised by how much i enjoyed the film without batman on screen. When batman makes his first appearance I wasn't even expecting it, I had honestly forgot batman was even in the film lol.

But i thought nolan used his superheroes effectively. If the entire film is based around batman whimsically parading around for 90 minutes no elements of the film would have any weight.

I personally prefer this robin origin story to him being a circus gymnast adopted by the bat to fight crime even as a 13 year old kid.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote