Music Banter - View Single Post - 'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver (12 dead, 38 wounded)
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #64 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger ? View Post
Never really understood this reasoning.
If anything if someone breaks into your house and you put an extra gun into the mix I would have thought all that would do is escalate the tension & make things more unsafe, not protect you.
I agree completely.

Pro-gun owners also always bring up shop owners needing guns for armed robberies. Wouldn't it be safer for them if they didn't have guns, and the robbers knew they wouldn't? Then their guard wouldn't be up and they wouldn't be jumping the gun (no pun intended) and shooting the shop owner because he has a gun, or cause they even might think he has a gun (regardless of if he does or not). Point is most armed robbers are there to rob, not kill, and the last thing they want is a murder warrant out on them. If someone is actually out to kill, they will probably do it in a fashion where you wouldn't have time to react in self defense anyways.

So I've never ever subscribed to this self defense argument. To me, the second amendment is a dated amendment from a time where there was rightful paranoia that Americans had over the overbearing British. At that point, it was understandable they'd want to be prepared should a coup take place. Now that we have a systematic system of checks and balances it seems nigh impossible for someone to seize power and turn our country into a tyranny, regardless of if the citizens are armed or not.

Most of these points have probably already been made but I haven't bothered to go through the rest of the thread yet.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote