Music Banter - View Single Post - 'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver (12 dead, 38 wounded)
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #87 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
In what sense does Maryland stand out to you? Level of income?

According to the source I used for the other list, the states with the lowest murder rates are:
  1. New Hampshire
  2. Vermont
  3. Iowa
  4. Idaho
  5. Wyoming
  6. North Dakota
  7. Minnesota
  8. Hawaii
  9. Maine
  10. Utah

Kind of a mixed bag. The safest state is a true swing state, New Hampshire, neither liberal nor conservative. Vermont, Iowa, Minnesota and Hawaii are all pretty liberal. Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota and Utah are all fairly conservative. Maine is a bit like New Hampshire, though it tends to lean liberal.

Another interesting thing is that, while the states with the highest murder rates tended to be some of the poorest states in the union, the states with the lowest murder rates aren't the necessarily the richest.
Maryland because its not a southern state or a frontier type state. That's why I think it stands out.

The two states at the top of your list are New England states, all I'm trying to do is find some kind of pattern. Its not obvious but I'm sure there is a pattern in all this somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Singapore (VERY strict gun laws)... Deaths per 100,000 due to gun violence... 0.17.

Chicago (the US city with the closest population and population density)... Deaths per 100,000 due to gun violence... 15.6.

Courtesy US crime statistics (just search for the website... It's easy to find).

I'll let those numbers speak for themselves.
Singapore is a very ordered society and quite wealthy, I'm guessing your point is an economically sound society is nearly always going to have far lower rates of crime.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote