Music Banter - View Single Post - Geekoid's World of Music
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

I'll use the default font for discussion . It's like talking with a different voice! haha. Part of the reason for using Book Antiqua is to make the actual journal entries visually separate from the discussion.

Blarobbarg-
Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated.

Trollheart-
On your first point, thanks!
Your advice means a lot, just because I know how involved in the journals section you are (I read your journals regularly and really enjoy them, btw. I just don't want my comments to seem forced. I like to keep things natural). I'll be prepared for loneliness, just because I thrive in solitude anyway. I'm kind of a loner.

On the second, I was really inspired by how you and Pedestrian make use of graphics in your journals. Working with images gives me a chance to use and improve on my photoshop ability.

On the third, well, you kind of exposed two Achilles' heels of mine that make me kind of a black sheep here on MB- my lack of knowledge about any kind of metal, and my ignorance when it comes to Star Trek. However, I'm aware of the Vulcan Harp (aka the Vulcan Lyre), which in many ways is even more fascinating than the theremin. From what I know, the Vulcan harp is often played alongside the theremin, and is actually played using physical strings to produce electronic sounds (much like an electric guitar, but with effects kind of like a synthesizer).

The video directly below this sentence includes a really great overview/ history.

As far as the evolution of music goes, I certainly hope the theremin becomes more mainstream, and more intensely awesome, in my lifetime.

It seems to come back to peoples' attention when the space age is in style. Notably, this occurred in the late 90s and early 2000s when theremin-like sounds were used by trip-hop artists; because space age lounge music was a key influence of the genre. It's my theory that when space travel and sci-fi are popular, like in the 90s, that's when you start hearing more "sci-fi" and "alien" instruments.

But the theremin is an "ambient" instrument, and is naturally suited to downtempo music. Right now, the electronic music climate is very energetic and upbeat, so theremin music tends to stay rather obscure. There's also a focus on "world music" instruments more than sci fi ones. But I think that hands-free instrumentation might be on the rise, since wireless technology seems to be the next stage in technological advancement.

If alien instruments ever do become the music of tomorrow, I'm sure it will be because they'll be more versatile (and they're becoming more versatile all the time with the addition of new programmable effects). If you can play a theremin or vulcan harp as the main instrument of a song, without it having to be a slow-paced atmospheric piece, then I think it certainly could be music's next step. Guitars and keyboards/synths have all the attention right now. If you can viably replace them (the vulcan harp could probably do the job, being somewhat of a hybrid), then maybe the alien takeover will occur. Hopefully in the next few decades.

So basically, it all depends on how interested people are in making science fiction into science fact, and then into a popular trend. Maybe the current Star Trek movie series will have an influence...

Thanks again for your input, TH
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote