Music Banter - View Single Post - 'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver (12 dead, 38 wounded)
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #114 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
No I don't agree with guns at all, I'm just looking at the correlation between crime and economics. The two often go hand in hand, but in the case of the USA that doesn't seem to hold true and its something of exception. My only take on it, is that the USA was built up on guns and superior armaments over the indigenous population and gun culture developed and has been present ever since. In Europe we've never had the same historical parallels, so gun culture is totally alien to us.
No. If this were true we'd see higher rates of gun violence in the more recently settled territories of this country; we don't. Were your theory true the Dakotas, Wyoming, & Idaho wouldn't be among the least violent states when it comes to gun crimes. You're forgetting that this nation isn't monocultural, monoracial, or ethnically homogenous. We see disparities in violent crime amongst these various groups, most notably amongst the so-called "nams", which means non-asian minoritys, as they are over-represented in violent crime.

There is a neat survey of victims of violent/property crime which includes breakdowns by race/ethnicity of the attacker & victim link.