Music Banter - View Single Post - Geekoid's World of Music
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

A Tribute to my Dad (Pt. 1 - R&B)
This section is devoted to exploring my roots- my influences up until today.

Of course, for most people, it's our parents who decide what some of our first musical influences will be. Whether our memories of these days are for the better or the worse; every one of our experiences helps to shape the kind of person we will become. This is why our tastes tell us so much about who we are. They aren't arbitrary or random- not just an excuse to be picky about what we like- they, in a sense, tell our story.

Out of both of my parents, I feel that it's most appropriate to start with my dad. My dad is someone who I've always admired; and to an equal degree, I've respected (and feared). He's a dominant presence, a tireless worker, and an impressive survivalist. He makes anyone he's with feel safe; that is, when he's not squeezing them until they can't breathe (his way of saying he loves us). He treats every day like a challenge that's just begging for ingenious solutions. At times it seems like there's nothing he can't do.

One thing my dad decided to share with me recently is that the only good memory he has of his father was their mutual love of music. It was a rare occurrence that they would sit down together an listen to records. Otherwise, his life was characterized by daily, horrifying abuse on the wrong side of the tracks in Detroit. Since that time, through his work as a counselor at a bible camp, which resulted in his dedication to Christianity, he has walked away from the anger and resentment that had delineated our family legacy, and instead of greeting the world with hate and murderous animosity like his forefathers, which was certainly where he could have fallen, he learned how to love beyond that hate, and create a better future for his family. I take it as a personal challenge to do the same.

The music he connected with in his childhood holds a special place in my heart. For me, it represents strength, dedication and love in a world where hate, violence and abuse can seem overbearing- and it also represents an attention to quality and genuine soul. Many Motown artists faced similar struggles to what my dad went through as a child, and yet the recurring themes that seem to characterize the genre are love and dedication. It reminds me of where I came from, and that what I choose to do with my life leaves a legacy. It's my responsibility to make it count.

My dad grew up in 1970s Detroit, so that means soul, funk, motown and smooth R&B.

His theme song:

Al Green

Stevie Wonder

The Jackson 5

Last edited by Geekoid; 07-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote