Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Favorite HBO Show
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I still haven't seen The Wire. I need to do something about that.
Which HBO shows have you seen and what did you think of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
5th season definitely had some problems, and I will agree that the serial killer plotline really did kill the immersion and realism of the show a wee bit. I think that was done dilberately though, to poke fun at the sensationalization of the typical serial killer motif while completely ignoring the very real serial killer who is nowhere near as "sophisticated" as say the BTK Killer.

I will definitely say that I prefered the Barksdale Crew, but at the same time we actually got a glimpse into their lives and saw their motivations, we didn't really get to see that all that much with the Stanfield Crew except with Michael.
You may be right about the serial killer plotline, it just felt like a departure to what the show was all about in the first place (namely, verisimilitude). Although to be fair, "hamsterdam" was pretty unrealistic as well, yet that was my favorite section of the whole show. Another part of season 5 that bored me was the newsroom, which didn't feel as compelling as the previously examined constructs of society.

That said, this is all really nitpicking of what is bottom-line a fantastic show. I personally prefer The Sopranos (I love the mafia themes and can't think of a stronger cast of characters), but I was also watching it when it first came out and was kind of aboard that hype train, something that I missed with The Wire, which I didn't catch up to until much later. So I may be biased a bit in that area, I'm just happy to live in a time where two great shows can co-exist and we can have pointless debates about which is better
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote