Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #885 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
Thats called headbanging. I suggest you give it a try while pumping up your fist, maybe throwing up a horn. But then again, it's all instinct so if you haven't done so, you never will.

I'm almost tempted to play some Cattle Decapitation,...nah.
I was just listening to Cattle Decapitation a couple days ago, trying to find a song of theirs that I like for its sound and not just its meaning. Someone at MB introduced me to Cattle Decapitation around 2 years ago, and I love the group's intentions but their sound, not so much.

Headbanging...I'd say it is partially instinct (the desire to move to the music), but mostly a learned and copied social response. Headbangers seem to have fun doing it, though. I suppose they feel like they are "letting go." You're probably right I'll never do headbanging. I think I'm too self-conscious and analytical to be a headbanger because I'd start to wonder why I'm doing it.

And if I threw up the horns, the urge to perform a rabbit hand puppet show with them would become too strong to resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
punk is about rebellion

metal has always been a tight social group who are tightly knit and a strong community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Most metal followers are outsiders anyway and I agree rebellion is often the furthest thing from their mind.
Hmm. So perhaps metalheads really are less rebellious (against mainstream accepted perspectives on life) and are more into grouping and copying each other than I had assumed, based on the themes of the music.

I think of punk as showing rebellion against injustices and power structures in society.

I've been thinking that metal is rebellion against typically accepted definitions of beauty/aesthetics, and against the social pressure to appear or act "nice," "peaceful," and "optimistic" by embracing, instead, expressions of aggression in music.

I've thought that death metal music more fundamentally stands as an often theatrical extistential cry against the forces of nature either by accentuating human defiance of death, or by focusing on human frailty in the face of it.

Consider this song below, "Push the Venom," by Kataklysm...with a video showing cool harpies trying to pick off the fettered man, who ends up vanquishing them, rebelling against his bondage.

This song seems very rebellious to me, although the music itself sounds mainstream within the metal genre. The lyrics, for example, show rebellion against those who try to drag you down:

"I am the king of defiance.
I am the rebel of power.
I am the son of survival.
As you fall into darkness,
I will rise from the sun.
I'm alive, I'm alive."

I think people often try to believe that life turns out well and is predominated by joy and fulfillment. Metal music embraces that this one-sided image of life isn't the truth. Maybe most metalheads are just into the theatrical, energizing aspect of the music without considering any sort of core message in it?

KATAKLYSM - "Push the Venom"
Cool harpies!

KATAKLYSM - Push The Venom - HQ - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote