Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #889 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Hmm. So perhaps metalheads really are less rebellious (against mainstream accepted perspectives on life) and are more into grouping and copying each other than I had assumed, based on the themes of the music.

I think of punk as showing rebellion against injustices and power structures in society.

I've been thinking that metal is rebellion against typically accepted definitions of beauty/aesthetics, and against the social pressure to appear or act "nice," "peaceful," and "optimistic" by embracing, instead, expressions of aggression in music.

I've thought that death metal music more fundamentally stands as an often theatrical extistential cry against the forces of nature either by accentuating human defiance of death, or by focusing on human frailty in the face of it.
There is a lot more relevant stuff on this post concerning metal and your critique of the genre is based on somebody from the outside looking in. A lot of what your saying has been addressed constantly over the years, BUT most people into metal in my experience are just interested in the themes of metal, rather than the actual messages that people seem to think that metal has. I don't think I've ever put on a metal album with the idea of finding some inner message, most metal fans just love either the power of the music, the diversity of the genre and the whole aesthetics of metal. As I said before it often attracts outsiders and misfits in life like the pull of a magnet, other people get into metal through what is known as a gateway band, usually a metal band that has a lighter melodic edge before they move into the heavier stuff.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote