Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest Debate in Rock N Roll History ?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #143 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
I also think calling Lennon pretentious for saying that is a little unfair. I think he was trying to engage in some genuine discourse there, trying to put their insane, rabid popularity into some kind of context. If he was guilty of anything it was in being so naive as to think he could engage the media in a discourse in the first place. The Beatles definitely had their moments of pretentiousness and pomposity - they were the first band to be that popular and it was bound to go to their heads - but I'm not sure this was one of them.

Well, before The Beatles were popular Elvis was and before Elvis it was the crooners like Bing Crosby and Sinatra. When they start keeping charts, Les Paul and Mary Ford were one of the most popular acts for their time - they had forty Top 40 hits, and slightly before them Louis Jordan was known as "The King of the Jukebox."

The Beatles were just the biggest act of their day. The pretentiousness and pomposity comes in when they act like they were the first band to make good music, or all other bands after them wanted to be them but weren't good enough.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote