Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #12060 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$AP Sparky View Post
It escalated though. It was the reason for everybody's side plots (which you legitimately disliked) levitt collecting the kids on the bus, gordon getting the crap beat out of him like usual, this time on a truck, etc. It gave batman the perfect time window for recovering.

I thought it was reiterated in pretty good manor.
Both of those things happened on the last day of the five month countdown so neither really did anything to tell the story of those five months.

Quote:
I don't get what the extra dimension the other films had. You subtracted the playboy bruce wayne for reclusive bruce wayne, got rid of one love interest for two(including catwoman), re introduce training metho's like the first film, i don't get why his character seems less fleshed out this time.
The love interest is actually an excellent example of what I'm talking about. In the first two movies you have Rachel Dawes, who actually has a long history and obvious chemistry with Bruce Wayne. Their relationship is something you care about. In the new movie you have Talia, who is his business partner and has a completely business relationship with him until they abruptly hook up for no reason. Catwoman is even less of a love interest. They share a mutual respect then she kisses him, the end. Not that I'm saying the movie needed some kind of love interest, I'm just saying this is indicative of how poorly the character was handled in The Dark Knight Rises.

Quote:
II honestly need to watch those again. I think liam neeson playing raz al ghul is doing harm to the original material, while bane's portrayal in this film is actually improving upon it.

With the characters this film added-catwoman in particular-and the comic locales (raz al ghuls pit) it was certainly going to be more comical than the other films, but I'm just glad they went ahead and did it anyway.
I do think it would have been cooler if Ken Watanabe had really been Ra's al Ghul, but Liam Neeson made a perfect Ducard imo, and since the two characters were merged into one by Nolan, I thought he was appropriate for the part. It's kind of interesting that you refer to the source material here though, because I thought The Dark Knight Rises handled Talia horribly. I'm surprised that doesn't bother you too.

As far as Bane goes: I was never really a fan of him in the comics, but I've always felt he had potential. I thought if anyone could make him an effective character it would be Nolan. I didn't feel like his portrayal in this movie was any kind of improvement over the comics. He was basically the same, but with an annoying voice.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote