Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #901 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I still think metal music has a tendency to dwell on certain topics (one of which hip hop mentions below), whereas I don't associate jazz with any topic. However, I have successfully avoided jazz and the jazz subforum for three years now, so I am probably not being fair in condemning jazz as vacuous based only on my foggy memories that I've tried to erase!
Not to drag this conversation too far away from metal, but I really would like to respond to these comments because you are most definitely being unfair by condemning jazz as "vacuous". Just because much of it is instrumental doesn't mean it lacks depth any more than a lack of words on a painting would mean it lacks depth. To pick the most prominent example: A lot of the classic jazz of the 50s and 60s was very much about freedom. Listen to some Charles Mingus or Liberation Music Orchestra. This music was the soundtrack to civil rights and to pushing back against the existing power structure, it was music about casting off shackles and demanding respect. It most certainly was not vacuous.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote