Music Banter - View Single Post - Snoop Lion
Thread: Snoop Lion
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerlilyzz View Post
have to say I also hated the fact that he 'ripped off' lines from Bob Marley songs- 'who feels it knows it' one example. Sorry but Snoop Lion is nothing like Bob Marley and highly doubt he ever will come close. Bob Marley was not just a reggae icon he was also a political activist and humanist. I know that Snoop Dogg -- sorry I just can't call him Snoop Lion- has done some work with disadvantaged youth but don't feel that the impact he has had even comes close to what Bob Marley has done and the effect his music has had on people. Going to Jamaica and smoking a whole lot of ganja doesn't make you a valid reggae artist Snoop
If you can call him Snoop Dogg, why not Snoop Lion? Is one more ridiculous than the other? Also, it's silly to say that one can't be a "valid reggae artist" without being similar to one of the two most well-known and iconic reggae artists (Marley and Tosh) as well as being a political activist.

Btw, Marley was no humanist, he was more of a religious freak. He literally worshipped Haile Selassie, believing the politician to be some kind of god incarnation, and because of his religion Marley decided to die of cancer rather than cutting off a toe for christ's sake. Way to fight Babylon. Hopefully Snoop never goes that insane.

Regardless, I think the La La La song is pretty much boring as shit, but still better than Snoop's rap of the last decade or so, and at least as good as a lot of "valid reggae" that I've heard. Personally, I'll probably just listen to Doggystyle and continue feeling that Snoop has been an irrelevant musician for almost 20 years.