Music Banter - View Single Post - Geekoid's World of Music
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Geekoid
Music Addict

Lately, I've been really getting into the 80's electro/new wave/italo revival. More intensely than ever before it seems, people are really starting to embrace the electronic style of the 80s in every aspect of its uber-modern and ultra-electric splendor. This time around, people are actually starting to draw inspiration from the emotions of Italo Disco specifically, instead of just being influenced by "synthpop" in general. Italo Disco has a certain brand of beauty, evoking a certain poignant emotional tone with its romantic melodies and wistful tone. Italo/ post-disco beats and melodies are extremely catchy, and really elevate disco to a whole new level by drawing upon its best qualities and modernizing them for new, more technologically advanced generations.

I took notice of the recent 80s revival when Goldfrapp released their 2010 album "Head First," which received mixed reviews from fans, mostly because some people didn't care much for the slick, commercial sound of the album, which came off to some as a gimmicky attempt to win fans. Others criticized their very obvious 80s influence, seeing it as indulgent nostalgia and not much else. But the melodies they managed to create take a great deal of talent to conceive of. I imagine it would be somewhat difficult to come up with a melody that could have been released in a past era. Goldfrapp accomplished this feat so well, in fact, that people can't help but feeling as though they're having a blast from the past. I think many people who are critical of the 80s nostalgia feel like the decade they grew up in is to be left alone; never to be dragged back to popularity as they start to reach their 20s and 30s. "the 80s is over already. Can we just forget it even happened?"

What I think is very appropriate about this revival right now is that, because of its sentimental overtones, italo works well in material meant to be nostalgic, and it's a good alternative to other contemporary styles, because unlike the hard-hitting glitchy samplescapes of dubstep, or the throbbing repetition of trance arrangements, there is an elegance and subtlety in the way sounds are treated in nu-disco cuts. It's smoother, and more danceable. Not that it's necessarily better, but it's meant for a different kind of setting. This is a very opportune time to embrace the sound of italo disco, a genre which has kind of fallen to the wayside of peoples' memory over the years.

There are a lot of different artists participating in the 80s revival, all with a different take on what they think the decade had to offer, in light of the 21st century. Most of the revival seems to be taking place in France, where italo disco is really making a comeback.

If I have one real problem with this broad style of music, it would be that it's almost too clean with the use of modern instruments and software. There isn't that same quiver and quake that period instruments used to make. In a way, I think people have streamlined musical technology so much that it's starting to lose some of its charm and character. It would be nice to be able to hear this mixtape remastered with vintage instruments, but hey, progress is supposed to be a good thing, right? I also don't like that the genre tends to be associated with elitist rich kids who play their obscure indie electronic music at parties to look "individualistic" and "fresh." Whether or not this is true, I like to think that italo is a worthwhile format in and of itself, regardless of who happens to listen to it.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite tracks that fit the new-80s vibe.

Spoiler for 8 tracks de la nouvel 80ies.:

Electric Youth have put out some excellent material, including their 2 most successful songs "Faces" and "Right Back to You." They're a good example of a very close 80's and 2010's hybrid, with a sound that is really accessible to the latest generation.

Canadian artist Sally Shapiro, working closely with Swedish ambient electronic artist Johan Agebjorn, fully embraces italo disco's form and subject matter, but sweetens it up a little with innocent vocals and a gentle atmosphere. Johan Agebjorn is becoming a well-known contributor to the 80's revival movement; and Sally Shapiro has become an instant favorite with electronic music fans and music critics, which all seem to be very pleased with her unique take on the genre.

I found p e a c e FIRE (a Japanese DJ) on last.fm, and as I remember, I think it's available as a free download from their page.

Antilles are interesting in that they employ a very close representation of the 80s, including a somewhat kitschy vibe with sugary lyrics and syrupy melodies. But I like 'em anyway.

Hard-hitting beats from Kavinsky...

and then there's also some Hauntology crossover with Principles of Geometry (from France).

Last edited by Geekoid; 08-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Geekoid is offline   Reply With Quote