Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #1460 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Thanks Geekoid! Great to know my journal is fulfilling a need for someone; love your idea of it being like a favourite radio show! Cool! I try to make my reviews as interesting and thoughtful as I can, while still concentrating on the music, and as I mentioned about concept albums, I can name a few (mostly reviewed here by me) where I really spread my hands and said to myself "WHAT concept? I can't follow this!" Really quite annoying, when you look at great concept albums like "The Wall", "The lamb", "War of the worlds" and to a lesser extent, "2112", where you can clearly follow the story; why can't modern concept albums do this? Even Gazpacho's "Missa Atropos" --- which I love and did review --- lost me after one or two songs. Maybe I'm just getting old(er)? Or maybe you really do need the sleeve notes to keep track?

Anyway, thanks for the comment and hope you continue to enjoy the journal. If there's something you'd like featured, ask away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekoid View Post
Wow, trollheart, I've been particularly enjoying this week's journal posts from you, especially the one on "the Hound of the Baskervilles." Your journal has become like a favorite daily radio show for me. It's nice to take a few minutes to just slow things down and read your reviews, even when I'm not head over heels over the music.

One thing I've been really appreciating is your ability to notice certain things about the everyday listening experience that most people take for granted; things like how concept albums' plotlines tend to be hard to follow. Hopefully this all makes sense, but... they're the things that tend to spring up in my mind for a moment as observations that should be "obvious," and then, just as quickly, they're gone in favor of concepts and analyses, which I think is a real shame; those details are the little things that start conversations beginning with "have you ever noticed...," and the kinds of things people like to read about in books; that keep people engaged. It's a relatable and inviting quality that makes one feel like they left having read something worthwhile and satisfying, and even almost tangible. Thanks for that.