Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #44 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Eternity doesn't end, nor does the quality on this album

Artiste: Time Machine
Nationality: Italian
Album: Eternity ends
Year: 1998
Label: Lucretia
Genre: Melodic/Progressive Metal
Tracks
End of darkness
Falling star
I, the subversive Nazarene
Hidden pain
Eternity ends
I believe again
Desert of souls
Behind the cross
Sphynx (The witness)
When the night surrounds me
Pilatus
Dark again

Chronological position: Second album
Familiarity: Zero
Interesting Factoid:
Initial Impression: Very melodic and dramatic without going over the top as so many bands in this genre are wont to.
Best track(s): End of darkness, Hidden pain, I believe again, Desert of souls, Pilatus
Worst track(s): None
Comments: Time Machine are an Italian progressive/melodic metal band whose lyrics, at least on this album, seem to concern religion, and in particular the Christian beliefs, with titles like I, the subversive Nazarene, Pilatus and Behind the cross, but is this the case? Nothing I can find about them says anything to support or deny the fact that they're a Christian Metal band, so I guess the easiest way to sort it out is to listen to the album. Good idea, Batman! Well it begins nicely with a short little acoustic guitar intro, then Falling star is, suprisingly, another instrumental, though a lot faster and heavier. We don't hear the vocals of singer Nick Fortarezza until the third track in, the aforementioned I, the subversive Nazarene, and I'm reminded most strongly of, perhaps oddly, German metal legends the Scorpions. Hmm. Then again, in fairness, it's really the vocals that put me in mind of the Scorps: the music here is a lot more melodic and less frenetic than Klaus, Rudy and the gang.

The lyric does seem to reflect a religious bent, though whether it edges towards the kind of Christian Metal that the likes of Narnia purvey I'm not sure; Time Machine may just be using the idea as a springboard for their songs, and I don't know what, if any, their beliefs are. The music is, though, what it's all about, and so far I'm impressed. Great heavy, dark, dramatic and ominous opening on keys and guitar to Hidden pain, and when the vocals come in Nick seems more than equal to the task of following such a powerful intro, and the song really comes together well. Very interesting use of the sax, not normally an instrument you'd associate with a metal band, but it's a worthy addition and Stefano della Guistina (who also plays the keys) helps to really take the music in a new direction.

At times this band are almost AOR, really reining back in the heavier elements on songs like the title track and the ballad I believe again, though that shouldn't be taken to mean that they can't rock out, because they most certainly can, and most of the time do. I like the full circle aspect too, where the album ends as it began, on a very short acoustic guitar instrumental. Whether any of this has to do with God or any religion I still don't know, but I really don't think it matters with music of this quality.
Overall Impression: Intelligent, well-crafted music that deserves to be better known. Like this a lot.
Intention: Well, what do you think...?

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-13-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote