Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Good list! I may disagree with Atom Heart Mother, but the rest are good picks. As for Atom Heart Mother, at least there's "If" and "Summer '68." The title epic had a lot of potential, but was a little too under-developed in my opinion. The era was interesting, but more to read about.

Sauerful to me was really a transitional album, but I still like it for a number of reasons, the main one being that it started to build the bridge from Piper to what they were going to be more famous for later on. I like the title track, although I prefer the live version on Ummagumma's live disc. Maybe Richard Wright did not have the voice or the strong songs, but there were some good Production tricks in his tracks that make them seem fine for a listen. "Let There Be More Light" is a wonderful track (also one that I think has been covered by a number of Underground Metal bands in the last decade or two...), and "Jug Band Blues" was alright, although I like the Syd era a lot.

To me, the whole of Ummagumma is pretty good, although I'm more for the live part although Roger's and David's sections on the studio set were good (Roger's screaming on "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" is classic!). The live disc is excellent, and a solid document of their "trying to get it together" years where things were starting to fall into place after the departure of Syd. Meddle is still possibly among my top 3 Floyd albums mainly for "Echoes" and also for "One of These Days" and "Fearless."

Post-Roger, I don't think about it much. If others dig it, that's cool with me, as it was obvious that they were going to continue on anyways. I already had my Pro-Roger time back when the arguments were raging when they were happening. As it stands, at least David, Nick, and Richard kept their craft going in their style.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote