Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #4300 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I can't say I find it tedious. I understand that a great deal of the events require a lot of advanced set-up; there are things that were mentioned in the first book that don't have consequences until the fourth for instance. I've also noticed that they tend to meander in details for 90% of the novel, and then hit you in the face with the entire climax occurring in the span of the last chapter, which at times can be confusing and overwhelming compared to the rest of the lead in. I'm only four books in, so it's too early for me to say whether the slower plot threads are necessary in the long run, but I'm very happy with the series so far, and impressed by the advanced set up of detail and the idea that there are so many books in the saga.

If you've read Lord of the Rings and made it through the council of Elrond, then you can pretty much make it through anything I think.
What I highlighted is exactly what I found in the first novel and leaves the reader to think that the whole thing could be over. The saga seems to really start in the second book with the hunt for the horn etc. I find the series mirrors so much from Tolkien, but does have enough to keep a certain amount of originality. What I find tedious, is how the story can meander for chapters without anything much happening and just concentrating as you say on details and interactions between the characters, I don't find the main characters that interesting at all. I also find the dream sequences a bit boring as well. Saying all that, I constantly look forward to reading it and especially like the idea of Darkfriends.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote