Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #4304 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
One of the issues that I've had with the series is that of Shai'tan the Dark One, the symbol of everything evil and the equal of Suaron. He was introduced so early and also defeated by Rand at the end of book 1, meaning that we had seen so early on the most important evil power. Constantly since then, characters have been built up as being terrible and evil but how can they compare to the great symbol of evil, he was introduced just too early and also through the dream sequences made to be just too personal. What I'm getting at, is that he holds no real mystery and somebody like him should.

Robert Jordan's slant on aggressive women either as Aes Sedai or as non Aes Sesai is interesting, had I not seen the name Robert Jordan, I easily could have supposed that the series was written by a woman. The reluctant hero angle, seems to be a way to prolong the books as the reluctant characters express their concerns over what they have to do, for the sake of the books I wish they weren't so reluctant.

I'm sure the dream sequences are a pivotal part of the plot but what really concerns me is that we've already seen Shai'tan defeated (even though it was like an early bout) and by book 2 the hunt is underway for the Horn seen as essential for defeating the Dark One. Despite my picking on aspects of the saga, what really interests me is just where the whole thing is going as there are so many books and they are not thin books either. You have the advantage of being a few books ahead of me and also are probably reading them faster than me.
I can't comment on this any further without spoiling the plotline, but let's just say you should read book 3 before you decide to call it quits based on those factors.

I'll just say that the characters have definitely changed some since the first book as far as the fourth, so perhaps it's a slow process over fourteen books. People don't change overnight, so I suppose it's reasonable.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote