Music Banter - View Single Post - The Shoegaze Genre
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I'll admit, I just got this very recently (yesterday). I thoroughly believe that this is a record that simply came out at the wrong time. 1991? Yeah, that's a bad time for ANY album to come out if you want it go be getting recognition. We're talking Nevermind, Ten, Loveless...there's not much that can compete with those albums.
Actually if you were a member of the record-buying public in 1991 you'd know how wrong this statement is. You can't really think that everybody only paid attention to those bestsellers you mentioned. There was a lot going on in 1991.

Anyway, I love Whirlpool. I probably like it more than Loveless, I certainly put it on more often. I've been listening to it since it came out - I think I just listened to it a week or so ago. It's definitely one of my favorite shoegaze albums. I really don't mean to come in here and disagree with everything you say but, to me, Whirlpool is definitely a cohesive shoegaze work as an album. 20 years later and I still don't think I could name a single track because I always listen to it all together - I think it flows rather well.