Music Banter - View Single Post - Come Clean About Your Arty Pieces Of Sh*t
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #55 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree about Let's Dance. It wasn't that Bowie was making dance music again, it was that he was making bad, bloated, bland 80's AOR dance music that was the issue. If Let's Dance had been another Young Americans, that would have been okay. In fact, when Bowie finally started coming around in the early 90's, his first album after Tin Machine was Black Tie White Noise, which was a dance album and a pretty darn good one. At least he sounded like he cared again.

I know I'm in the minority because I think most of Bowie's 80's albums were hugely successful, but as a serious fan, I felt they were bereft of any meaningful content. DB was just as entitled to chase a buck as anyone else, but after that steady progression of amazing 70's records, it was a stone bummer to witness. To be fair though, I think he was pretty burned out by that point. The fact that he came back so much stronger in the 90's is a testament to that. Like he finally got his second wind or something.
Hours (1999) is actually a great album in my view. One of the final buys of the Millennium, and a damn good one too. Somehow, it was a very fitting choice for me.

I fully understand your view. When something like Let's Dance comes after Scary Monsters, it's easy to go "Damn it, WHY?!!!" after years of some very innovative work.The bloated videos (although the one to China Girl was alright) were the top of the iceberg.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote