Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zyrada
Avant-Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
I never heard of "Creepshow" or even that band. I might have heard "Echoes" at some point. I have heard some lengthy Pink Floyd songs, and I do not like - they slog on, where I can't even tell where in the 'epic' things are . But I like many of the shorter Pink Floyd tunes. I have the same issue with (not prog) "Rosalita". If I want a story, I'll read a book or a magazine article or maybe the music video can add a story. I'm not against songs that are story-telling - for example, I like Bruce's "Atlantic City" and "Hazard" by Richard Marx. But I want a quick jolt in mood more than I want a story. Plus, often I like the ambiguity of story fragments as opposed to a full depiction. And it seems like some epics have to be listened to many times or studied via printed lyrics to particularly understand things - I don't want to have consciously work at it. Or, heaven forbid, have to listen to the whole album to figure it out. Coheed & Cambria songwriter, get a life.

Finally, I think most of us know that many long songs involve artists exploring instruments, soundscapes, whatever - which easily becomes self-indulgent. Prog rock is notorious for that, but Led Zeppelin did something similar with "Kashmir."
It's hard to argue with personal preferences, but based on what you're saying about how you approach music in general, it sounds like you're shutting yourself out from a notable part of the "listening experience" in general, as lofty and sterile as that may sound. It's like saying you read a couple of books in high school that you didn't like, so you just don't bother reading books at all. Yeah, a lot of books in high school curricula are trite, over-analyzed, and more often than not given way too much praise, but for every academically-lauded doorstopper, there's a genuinely riveting and fascinating novel that's relevant and worth every minute you put into reading through it, even if it doesn't get nearly as much attention.