Music Banter - View Single Post - Leaving for College!
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
I guess it depends on your career field. I went from renting a huge house with a nice backyard to a small apartment. I went from a 40 hour work week with 3 days off from school to a 60-70 hour work week and one day off. In my experience, college was a time when I could meet loads of new people every day who were all as interested in partying and sex as I was just by walking around campus. Now I live in the "real world" and I don't have that kind of connection with my age group anymore, unless I frequent the same bars that drunken idiots occupy on a nightly basis. Everyone I know is living the same way, but I suppose it's just a hazard of having your job be your life.
That's half of it. The other half of it depends what your circumstances were in college. I never could have afforded a huge house back then. I lived in a noisy street-level apartment with 4-5 other people, one bathroom and a serious mouse problem. When I wasn't in class or working on projects for my classes, I was generally at work at a shitty, low-paying job. Not that I didn't have fun, I did, but it usually was just a party at someone's apartment. I rarely had money to go out anywhere or do anything. Once I got out in the "real world" I mostly lived by myself in a small apartment that I loved, worked 40 hours a week, the rest was free time to do whatever I wanted, had plenty of money for "entertainment enhancers", could afford to go out to clubs and concerts, could afford to take trips, and I met many more interesting people from more walks of life than the narrow little slice of humanity that was my school.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote