Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
No, I'm not saying they are talentless, since we aren't talking about talent but rather listener preferences.

My point is that if bands or composers haven't been able to make their musical point in the first six minutes, then I don't expect them to do so after that time, and I don't have the patience to wait around and find out if I'm wrong.

Recently I've been trying to listen to some 10 minute long metal songs, but when the last 4 minutes of the song are exactly like the first 6 minutes (which often seems the case), I don't want to listen to those final 4 minutes, since they offer nothing new.

I think my opinion on song length is a direct result of my personality: I tend to like to *do* things actively rather than sit still and absorb (music) passively. I almost never listen to music without multi-tasking, for example.
I agree with you that a ten minute metal song can get a little repetitive and boring. But if I may, i'd like to post a few songs from one of my favorite genres that I find to often exceed 6 minutes and generally get up to 10 to 12 minutes.

Spoiler for youtube videos:

And now something pretty excessive:

I don't expect any of the videos I posted to change your mind, but I wanted to make my point a bit stronger.