Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #71 (permalink)
Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Thanks, Ki, for the 6+ minute songs you offered to try to show that they aren't necessarily boring or repetitive.

I definitely preferred the first two (post-rock?) shorter songs, "Spirits Stampede" by Pg.lost and "Worlds in Collision" by God is an Astronaut, to the last longer one, "Zenith," by A Swarm in the Sun.

I felt the best part of "Spirits Stampede" is at 4:30 when the music becomes more energetic. I feel they could have edited out some of the earlier part of the song to reach that latter section sooner, thereby shortening the song and not losing much of its content.

Similarly, I felt "Worlds in Collision" (my favorite of the three) could have been edited down without much loss of the song's feeling or content. I like its pleasant beat and a soothing sound, but it is fairly repetitive. My favorite part was at 6' when a quiet piano section starts.

Such atmospheric music is perhaps intended for those who want to be carried away by the music's tranquility, and so I can understand why many listeners wouldn't mind the songs lasting longer than 6'. I did like both songs; I just thought they could have been made shorter, which I would have preferred.

However, I didn't like the longer song "Zenith" by "A Swarm of the Sun" at all. The song had a louder, more intense instrumental section at 2:49, which was nice, except that it went on with almost no variation in its sound for over a minute (!) until 4:40. Then the song dwindled down at 5:40 and became very quiet. I became hopeful that they would let the song die a natural death at that point...but no, they kept the song on life support, barely alive, before finally revitalizing it with lyrics and a louder volume until pulling the plug five long minutes later.

I think "Zenith" would have been much more effective if it were shorter.

Not if I fall asleep listening to it!
Please excuse my language but I really don't ****ing get it. What is the point in limiting yourself to the minutes or even hours of a song. You set yourself up for being completely biased against anything somebody throws at you that isn't within the time frame that you prefer. You know what the first thing I look at when I get introduced to a song or a band? Absolutely nothing. I listen to it. Whether they have a 15 minute song on their album, or a 1 minute song. I really don't care because the length of the song isn't the point, it's what the band wanted to create, and if I want to respect the band's work, I have to respect their choice to make long tracks or short tracks. And don't get me wrong, but I completely disagree with you on Zenith. That track is by far one of the best songs I have heard from that band, and I won't even bother showing you other songs from them because you'll come back with the biased attitude that you are conveying right now.