Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #611 (permalink)
hookers with machineguns
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by covle
iv been doing a lot of studying on the origins of christianity in recent times and am wanting to talk REASONABLY about it. i have nothing against christians, it just doesnt seem rational to me to follow something that was completely altered from its original state and forgered over the following centuries. barely anything is or was original in the whole religion.

again, i am after a debate, i will respect all things said by anyone in a reasonable response
Religion is a good incentive for people who seek more than just what's there. It gives life a "purpose" for those who feel there's more than just the physical nature of life. There can be no harm in believing that living a "good" life will be rewarded. There's no harm in having faith, even if it turns out to be wrong.

Any given religion has undoubtley skewed from the original writings. But, that's how it should be. Everyone should have their own unique interpretations. I personally think it's bullsh*t if you just put yourself under a secular or political label, and blindly pre-determine your beliefs based on what's generally accepted in your organization. That's just lazy and narrow-minded.

On a personal note, I'm one of those tacky "spiritual-but-not-religious" hacks. I think the concept of 'God' or 'after-life' or 'heaven' is out of our physical and mental realm; i.e., we can only speculate and have faith, but we're not smart enough to figure out what's "real" and find a medium between science and pseudoscience.

Anti-God and Pro-religious preaching are usually based on similar premises and end up in circles. I think it's fine that these people preach, because there is nothing that says any of us have to listen or care. You create your own moral guidelines and live by it. Others will do the same. Well, there you go.