Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #12159 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
One example of how I think they are part of the problem is : early in the movie when the main character watches the news, there is some story of pointless, violent viciousness on the telly. It is one of the parts of the bleak backdrop which gets Frank down. I'm pretty sure protagonist Frank would not have liked news that f.ex some guy got killed because he took up two parking spaces, yet ..

Spoiler for God Bless America:
Frank (as he is corrupted and his idea of the "deserving" gets wider) eventually does things like shooting a guy for taking up two parking spaces and rudely refusing to give one up, thus adding to the increased viciousness of American society which he himself does not like. Or at least did not like before he became a killer.
Fair point but...

Spoiler for more about God Bless America:
while he was clearly walking the moral line, and the double parker wasn't necessarily a terrible person, Frank always emphasized that his hatred stemmed from the fact that America had descended to the point that rudeness and loss of general decency was acceptable and even celebrated. He also just plain hated a lot of people and their behaviors.

It drove him to feel vicious as we saw during his talk with his co-worker in the cubicle. Some of the early murders were of people acting rudely and obnoxiously in a movie theater, after all. Also he fantasized about shooting a baby point blank before he ever did anything to anybody.

I think that the Frank we saw in the beginning would have been much happier to see on the news that these kinds of killings (not the baby) were happening than the things he was seeing on TV at the time.

Also, I watched the entire thing with the idea that it was more of a farce than a satire so I wasn't very critical of any of Frank's actions. Then again... I'm American and I never got the impression that Frank had even become corrupted, so maybe I'm part of the problem myself