Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #12160 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Fair point but...

Spoiler for more about God Bless America:
while he was clearly walking the moral line, and the double parker wasn't necessarily a terrible person, Frank always emphasized that his hatred stemmed from the fact that America had descended to the point that rudeness and loss of general decency was acceptable and even celebrated. He also just plain hated a lot of people and their behaviors.

It drove him to feel vicious as we saw during his talk with his co-worker in the cubicle. Some of the early murders were of people acting rudely and obnoxiously in a movie theater, after all. Also he fantasized about shooting a baby point blank before he ever did anything to anybody.

I think that the Frank we saw in the beginning would have been much happier to see on the news that these kinds of killings (not the baby) were happening than the things he was seeing on TV at the time.

Also, I watched the entire thing with the idea that it was more of a farce than a satire so I wasn't very critical of any of Frank's actions. Then again... I'm American and I never got the impression that Frank had even become corrupted, so maybe I'm part of the problem myself
Spoiler for God Bless America:
Interesting take on it

I wrote corrupted as he is persuaded or goaded into increasingly more violent acts by Roxy who really is more "evil" than he is and a bad influence.

But you could be right in that there's no intentional irony from the point of view of the director. Of course I strongly feel that you can't improve on a culture by going around murdering people and that these are evil acts.. but on the other hand, thinking about what you wrote, I didn't feel like I was supposed to be critical of Frank's actions because noone else in the movie is.

I definitely felt it was a bit of a rant against american society with Bobcat holding up a mirror showing us something relatively close to the truth with regards to stupid TV shows and so on (which were all parodies or copies of real life shows). I'm sure I saw that sweet 16 girl who gets upset because her parents got her the wrong car on telly once. That sort of stuff irritates me too!