Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #91 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I don't feel I have to eat the whole box of chocolates or even a whole chocolate candy out of some sense of obligation to the chocolate-maker. If I do try a piece of chocolate that has cherry liquor (a long song), and I find that I don't like the first taste (the first 5 minutes), then I don't force myself to eat the whole thing. And even if I like the chocolate at first, I usually find that I start to get sick of it if the chocolate bar is too big (just like I can start to get tired of a long song).

My point, contrary to yours, is that we can respect a band's choice to make a song short or long, but that doesn't mean we have to listen to the whole song or even listen to the song at all.

My tendency to avoid or dislike longs songs has nothing to do with respect or lack thereof for the musicians. A song isn't the ruler of a single-party dictatorship where we are forced to give only adoration. Music is a democracy where we can express appreciation and criticism, and elect a different song when we want.

In fact, the musicians I know like constructive criticism (when solicited). Giving them my honest opinion, such as by telling them if I feel a song is too long, actually shows my respect for them.

More about this issue of respect: do you feel you have to listen to all of Robert Rich's two-and-a-half-hour song "Somnium" to show your respect for him? And, if so, given that he intended the song for people to listen to while dreaming/sleeping or while awake, do you feel have to listen to it with your full attention to show respect?

If you choose not to listen to this song in its entirety, I won't feel your choice means you lack disrespect for Robert Rich's creative process. Perhaps your choice simply means that you have other ways you want to spend your time:
Great analogy, but, just my two cents:

(to the bolded): At least once, right? I mean, at some point in your life you should be able to set aside the time to hear it. Maybe a road trip, maybe laying on the beach or in the park with headphones while sunbathing. Am I right? Am I wrong? If you feel the song deserves merit/attention but is too long to ever hear regularly, you know there's odd times where you could be multitasking that tune in. Perhaps.

Like a movie... did you walk out of the theater when you watched Titanic or Lord of the Rings because it was far over 2 hours? Do you skip chapters of good, long books to get to the better parts or the end? Music, movies, and books take time to consume. Just which tome is the question... that's where multitasking comes in..