Music Banter - View Single Post - Billy Corgan slams Soundgarden and Pavement
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

I actually agree with Corgan on this one.

While I didn't like what I heard from Oceania at least there's an honest to goodness new album out for his band. Sure he's trying to make money, but at least he's offering something new.

What did Soundgarden do? They released a weak leftover from the Badmotorfinger days and a live disc from the waning days of the band.

Here's my biggest beef with SGs whole deal though. Back in '97 when they first broke up they publicly discussed not one, but two compilations to be released for the fans. The first was the A-Sides greatest hits package, the companion comp was an appropriately named B-Sides, featuring all the bonus tracks that were only featured on singles, or the super rare double album version of Badmotorfinger, and in some cases tunes only ever released in certain markets.

Then there was a boo-hoo article / interview with Thayil in a Rolling Stone type magazine a while back leading up to the reunion announcement where he openly complained about not profiting from the 2nd gen grunge fans. How their label contacts all essentially disappeared as the conglomerates ate up smaller labels etc. He did bring up a good point - when was last time you saw a SG t-shirt for sale? They simply didn't exist anymore until they reunited. But his comments made his purpose clear - and it wasn't to just rock out anymore.

At this point I'm more embarrassed than excited at the reformed Soundgarden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote