Music Banter - View Single Post - Truss Rod Adjustment
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

I don't know the technical terms but from what I'm understanding you'd need to tighten the rod.

Just to be clear when you describe curving away from you - it's the same as if you held the body at eye level and looked down the neck like the barrel of a gun that the headstock would be coming up, right?

I believe it's the same as turning a screw and you'll twist clockwise to tighten the rod. Everything I've ever read about truss rod adjustments always specified making adjustments in 1/4 rotation intervals then giving the instrument a minute to adjust and checking out its current state before tweaking again. If it doesn't feel like there's any resistance or that the truss rod isn't 'grabbing' into anything after a couple of full rotations then you've got a much more serious issue on your hands and you'll likely need to take the instrument into your local shop and hope it's not a $2-300 fix.

You'll most likely want to / need to readjust the intonation at the bridge after adjusting the neck as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote