Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #123 (permalink)
Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I like our debate, Ki, and I appreciate your pointing out commonalities in our listening even as there are differences in our listening philosophy.
It's definitely one of the better ones i've had in a long time.

Quote:
I can understand how you'd like a 10-12 minute song that builds to an incredible climax, but I prefer (with music) not to wait so long until the climax!
I suppose it's just a matter of patience. You and I are different in that sense. You want to hear what you are supposed to hear from the song right away, whereas I am not worried about waiting a couple extra minutes. Also keep in mind that I listen to music that would be deemed as very repetitive, but over the last year or two, i've realized that it's 95% worth the wait. Even if the song is 10 minutes long, and the climax is within the last 2 minutes.

Quote:
I think the main differences between your and my listening are that (1) you are more likely than I to listen to a new song from finish to end; (2) you are less likely than I to reject a song due only to its length.
Length never comes into play when I listen to music. In the time that I have been exposed to music, (and I would wager that's been the last 16 years of my life) i've never once thought to look at the length that it would take for the song to be over, I listen to the song to enjoy the music.

Quote:
My issue with your and Trollheart's descriptions and those of many others in this thread is that you discuss the virtues of listening to and liking music "regardless of length," and yet that seems unrealistic to me.
What is so unrealistic about liking music? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? I still have not been convinced that the length of the song has anything to do with how much you like the music.

Quote:
I also disagree with you on the idea of there being a "fair listen." I don't see listening preferences as having to do with fairness toward an artist or a song.
Well if you're not willing to give a thorough listen of an album, than you aren't giving the band's release a fair listen.

Quote:
Finally, I don't agree with you that "bad listening" exists. When someone says she doesn't want to listen to the end of a long song, I just see that as a preference...a different type of preference than for a genre, yet still just a preference. Since people like their own preferences, then I feel their listening tendencies can't be bad because the way they listen to music isn't bad for *them.*
If it's not bad for them, fine. But it's still a pretty flawed way to go about it.

Quote:
I agree with you that if I don't listen to all of a long song, there may be times when I miss out on something wonderful at the end.

However, I am searching for songs that I like from beginning to end. If I already know after several minutes that I don't like the beginning, then it makes sense for me to move on to a song where I may like the whole thing. And if I like the beginning of the song but am starting to feel its length is unappealingly long, then it is reasonable to stop listening because I'm not enjoying it.
Whatever floats your boat.