Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #128 (permalink)
rostasi

Instead of responding to an overwrought second-hand emotional charge, I think I'd rather hear from the OP whether it was thought of as a character assassination rather than just plain bewilderment. It comes from a pretty humorous connect between the name "wisdom" and ideas that are more like folly-fueled statements such as: assuming that "most of us know" exploratory long-form structures "become self-indulgent...", that it's "almost impossible for a 2-minute song to be boring", that, even tho the OP doesn't know a particular style or person's work, "...I doubt I'd like [it]..."[not "having a clue" about an artist's work means never listening again to it] and so on. This thread is hinging on the idea that time alone is the deciding factor as to the worth of a recording. It's a strange and utter absurdity when you realize that in the area of sound - of all musics from every era and every country and every genre - it is time that is the only underlying constant - not melody, rhythm or timbre and to relegate the enjoyment of music to a small segment of time as the main redeeming factor is like saying that great paintings only have a certain quantity of paint - not too much or too little - or disliking great architectural wonders because they have more than, let's say, 4 stories or less than three. I think this is what the majority of us are scratching our heads over (unless some of us are members of the Oumupo - then it would be considered an artistic challenge!). It's one thing to hone your desires for short or long form into specific areas of music whether it's power pop, polka, wandelweiser, mento, onkyo, EAI, purple sound, or a huge number of others, it's quite another thing to find redemption solely in narrow zones of time.

Last edited by rostasi; 08-19-2012 at 10:10 PM.