Music Banter - View Single Post - The Amazing Spiderman
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
KW710
Groupie

Well, first of all, Sony had to remake it because all of Marvel's character rights deals have a 3 year ticking clock built it. If you don't make a movie using the character at least once every 3 years, the rights revert back to Marvel (i.e. Disney now). So Sony was in a bind because if they didn't, they'd lose the rights to a very lucrative franchise. So that explains the reboot so soon.

Overall, I felt like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man was a better film, holistically. Sam Raimi just has more directing experience and is also more adept at action sequences, and you could tell.

That said, I thought Andrew Garfield made a much better Peter Parker. I also loved that the character animation while he was swinging through the city was more accurate to the comic art (all sorts of weird mid-air poses, etc.) and that his powers were more accurate too (mechanical web-shooters). Also, the character relationships were stronger in this film, particularly between Peter and Gwen. Marc Webb might not be the best action director, but that wasn't really the point. If Sony had wanted another action flick, they could have hired plenty of other people who could do the job passably well. They purposefully hired Marc because they wanted someone who was good at character stories, which is what you got.
KW710 is offline   Reply With Quote