Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #173 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
My argument isn't perfect, but I think it's still a good argument.
It's not. I think that has been proven multiple times here, by different people, and now you're just struggling to try to justify the unjustifiable really.
Quote:
I didn't listen past the first minute of any of those songs. Because in Rainbow's case, I know the band and the only style I like was with Joe Lynn Turner.
Unbelievable. No wait, not in your case, as I'm coming to expect these things from you. What a waste: one of Rainbow's classic rockers and "you don't like Dio's style". I assume you mean singing style, as Ritchie, who formed the band and creates it style more than anyone through his amazing guitar work, is still with them?
Quote:

Threshold - well, it seems like the band never was that popular, and there's usually a reason for that.
Oh my god you do talk some rubbish don't you? How do you know how popular they are? And it's present tense: their new album is due out this year. What's your definition of popular? Chart success? If so, then you can consider 80-90% of bands on this planet unpopular. I suppose Threshold bought every copy of their, to date, eight albums, not to mention four live ones, themselves? Their concerts were played to empty arenas, were they? Their music is absent from every ipod in the world? Jesus! Sometimes I wonder, I really do...

Quote:
Besides, upbeat rock songs rarely resonate with me emotionally.
So all you listen to is downbeat. Oh excuse me, all that resonates with you is downbeat music? Seems odd but if so why talk so much about the songs we have been, and dissect and refute them. Why not just say "I prefer downbeat songs" and save us all the trouble of trying to convince you? Though I find it hard to believe that someone couldn't be moved to a smile by the likes of the Pretenders' "Don't get me wrong", Huey Lewis's "If this is it" or even Simple Minds' "Alive and kicking". What's that you say? They're all short songs? But we weren't discussing short uptempo songs, you said "upbeat rock songs", didn't you? (Sorry, just anticipating your rebuttal...)

Quote:
if I dislike the beginning of a song, there's almost no chance I will like the whole of it.
Unbelievable arrogant. How can you possibly know if you don't listen to the song? There are so many songs I know that have started off one way and ended totally different. That's what's so great about music: like football, often anything can happen over the course of a song.
Quote:
I can like soft songs (e.g., "Hold on My Heart," by Genesis and "I'm Not the One," by The Cars), but soft songs that go on and no, probably not.
So you'd listen to "hold on my heart" but not "Fading lights" (10:16), "Driving the last spike" (10:08) or even "Dreaming while you sleep" (7:16)? How about "No son of mine"? That just scrape in at 6:39? Does not all this sound ludicrous to you, to limit yourself in such a draconian way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I stopped reading after "I didn't listen past the first minute of any of those songs."
I'm sure you had something really great to say afterward, but my pre-conceptions got the better of me.
Sorry bro.
If only I could read entire paragraphs.