Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #181 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Janszoon, I agree about the editing and jotted down a single-disc length White Album list of my own yesterday (on a paper napkin -- a white paper napkin -- truly!). Here it is, with tracks more or less in order:

Back In The U.S.S.R.
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Wild Honey Pie
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Savoy Truffle
Martha My Dear
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Julia
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Revolution 9
Long, Long, Long

EDIT:

This means the cross-outs (on the napkin ) were:

Birthday (really superfluous tune, imo; very easy deletion for me)
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (very easy deletion; funny but lightweight)
Cry Baby Cry (very difficult deletion; absolutely love the piano and drumming, but the nursery rhyme theme seems a bit out of place to me for this album)
Don’t Pass Me By (very difficult deletion, as I hated to cut Ringo’s only tune - and I love the Leslied upright piano and oompah pace. Oh well, at least it went to # 1 in Bavaria.)
Dear Prudence (difficult deletion if only for the superb bass line; the acoustic guitar pattern always seems slightly repetitive to me)
Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey (love the energy of this song, so it was a difficult deletion)
Glass Onion (good playing on this, but an easy deletion thematically)
Good Night (touching song, as it was composed by John for his son Julian (although sung by Ringo – sorry again, Ringo!), but couldn’t really include it on a single disc)
Honey Pie (difficult deletion, as I love ‘20s-style music which Paul does so well)
I Will (difficult deletion, especially as it memorializes the beginning of Paul and Linda’s relationship - but I felt there were too many acoustic tracks to consider)
Piggies (significant in the context of the double album, superfluous to a single disc)
Revolution 1 (never liked this – the single is so much better)
Rocky Raccoon (I like it lots better than Bungalow Bill but, again, slightly lightweight for a single album)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (I hated to delete this, knowing it’s usually held in such high regard; but I think the song is overrated and it’s purely personal taste that I would leave it off)
Why Don’t We Do It In The Road (fun for the double album, no space for it on the single)

Last edited by ribbons; 08-21-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: additional comments
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote