Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #177 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It's not. I think that has been proven multiple times here, by different people, and now you're just struggling to try to justify the unjustifiable really.

Unbelievable. No wait, not in your case, as I'm coming to expect these things from you. What a waste: one of Rainbow's classic rockers and "you don't like Dio's style". I assume you mean singing style, as Ritchie, who formed the band and creates it style more than anyone through his amazing guitar work, is still with them?
Yeah, the problem is mostly with Dio, singing and writing. Note that Rainbow circa Joe Lynn Turner was about shorter songs. By the way, I heard Blackmore doesn't play rock music anymore.

Quote:
Oh my god you do talk some rubbish don't you? How do you know how popular they are? And it's present tense: their new album is due out this year. What's your definition of popular? Chart success? If so, then you can consider 80-90% of bands on this planet unpopular. I suppose Threshold bought every copy of their, to date, eight albums, not to mention four live ones, themselves? Their concerts were played to empty arenas, were they? Their music is absent from every ipod in the world? Jesus! Sometimes I wonder, I really do...
Mainstream exposure, at least. But if they're current and good, eventually I'll probably see the band mentioned somewhere else. Psst, that principle also applies to the Rainbow song.

Quote:
So all you listen to is downbeat. Oh excuse me, all that resonates with you is downbeat music? Seems odd but if so why talk so much about the songs we have been, and dissect and refute them. Why not just say "I prefer downbeat songs" and save us all the trouble of trying to convince you? Though I find it hard to believe that someone couldn't be moved to a smile by the likes of the Pretenders' "Don't get me wrong", Huey Lewis's "If this is it" or even Simple Minds' "Alive and kicking". What's that you say? They're all short songs? But we weren't discussing short uptempo songs, you said "upbeat rock songs", didn't you? (Sorry, just anticipating your rebuttal...)
I like "Alive and Kicking" and "Don't Get Me Wrong." (I've tired of "If This is It.") I didn't say I never like uptempo songs, but something long probably has to be emotionally complex yet still scrutable to work for me. (I'm changing my argument slightly as I have new insights.)

Quote:
Unbelievable arrogant. How can you possibly know if you don't listen to the song? There are so many songs I know that have started off one way and ended totally different. That's what's so great about music: like football, often anything can happen over the course of a song.
The team that leads after the first quarter usually wins But this isn't football. Something cohesive enough to be a song probably won't vary much in quality as it runs its course. I base my observation on having listened to at least 5000 songs in my life. I grant you that maybe a longer song demands a slightly longer sample.

Quote:
So you'd listen to "hold on my heart" but not "Fading lights" (10:16), "Driving the last spike" (10:08) or even "Dreaming while you sleep" (7:16)? How about "No son of mine"? That just scrape in at 6:39? Does not all this sound ludicrous to you, to limit yourself in such a draconian way?
I don't know what "Fading Lights" is. I'm a big fan of "No Son of Mine" - but it would and could have been better had the repetitive chorus been cut by 30 to 60 seconds. Despite having "We Can't Dance" on CD, I've never listened to the other two. I know they weren't singles and probably didn't get much airplay anywhere, and the album on the whole isn't great - that combination tells me they likely aren't anything special.

Realistically, everyone needs limits. There is plenty of good music in this world - leaving out categories one tends not to like allows more enjoyment for the proven stuff.

Last edited by sopsych; 08-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.