Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #216 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
As usual, VEGANGELICA makes good points. Nothing to add there.

I looked up Dio right after I posted this morning. Though a Wiki entry calling his voice "powerful" doesn't equate to "good voice," I'm surprised to find him high on at least one list of best metal vocalists. Personally, I don't like his voice, and I am darn sure he would never be high on a list of male singers from genres that include pop, alternative, etc. I probably could not find one long song that I enjoy where I'd rate the singing as not at least pleasant.

This never was meant to be a debate thread, and certainly not about Dio's singing.
Oh god damn it! Alright, I feel I have to make this point. Last one. Probably.

Just a quick word on Vengangelica. She makes good points? She makes well-thought out points, but I suspect to you she just makes good points because she agrees with you. The moment she disagrees, if at all, with you she'll suddenly be wrong. Of course. But I admit I have a ton more respect for her view and the way she presents it than yours. But anyway...

First, of course it's a debate thread! What do you post here for if not for debate and discussion? The title is "Anyone else dislike most long songs?" That squiggly thing at the end of the sentence? That's a question mark. You're asking a question. Responses to questions, unless all agree with your view, equals a debate. So to say this was never meant to be a debate thread actually makes you seem more naive than I could even have believed. What? Did you think you'd get a flood of replies saying yes we all agree?
Oh, that's coffee you're smelling, by the way!

Second, no, it's not a thread about Dio's voice. YOU brought that up. All I did was give you a song ("A light in the black") to try out and YOU were the one who insulted Dio's singing. You can say that his voice is shown as "powerful" on that wiki article, but once again (and I've lost count of how many times this has happened) you're only seeing what you want to see. If you'd read further, particularly where it mentions his legacy, you would have seen that he is one of the most revered singers in the genre. The very fact that you had to "look up" Dio instantly takes away from you any right to pronounce judgement on him. If you knew his work, you might be able to talk about him, but if you have to look up information about him in order to make your point, then you don't know him and your opinion on him is less than worthless.

Here's what WIKI has to say about his legacy:

Dio's career spanned over fifty years. During this period, and particularly in the 21st century, he received a number of distinctions and awards. He was inducted into the Cortland City Hall of Fame in 2004, and has a street named after him there called Dio Way. In his post-Elf band Rainbow, Ronnie wrote some of the first Power Metal lyrics. Classic Rock Magazine awarded Dio with the "Metal Guru Award" at their yearly "Roll Of Honour" awards ceremony in 2006. On January 17, 2007, Dio was inducted into Guitar Center's Rock Walk of Fame in Hollywood, CA. Dio was named "Best Metal Singer" at the Revolver Golden Gods Awards in April 2010 for his work on The Devil You Know, making him the oldest recipient of this award at age 67. He accepted the award in person at what was to be his final public appearance, less than one month before his death.[27] The main stage of Bloodstock Open Air is also named after him in tribute after Heaven & Hell pulled out upon his death.
and further

Rolling Stone magazine eulogized Dio with these words: "It wasn't just his mighty pipes that made him Ronnie James Dio — it was his moral fervor...what always stood out was Dio's raging compassion for the lost rock & roll children in his audience. Dio never pretended to be one of the kids — he sang as an adult assuring us that we weren't alone in our suffering, and some day we might even be proud of conquering it"

Now, YOU chose to turn this into an argument about Dio, so don't whine (and yes, it is whining, as you seem to do whenever things don't go your way here) about this suddenly becoming a debate about Dio's voice. YOU did that, and it is the reason I am stepping back from this now, since it is now clear you will go to any lengths to try to justify your position, slag off people you clearly have no clue about, insult genre after genre (heavy metal singers aren't good/prog rock is boring) in your quest to be proven right, which will never happen.

Honestly, if you had only accepted that most of us prefer long songs, instead of trying to convince us we were wrong, and given better reasons, more understandable reasons why you don't like long songs, then maybe people might have responded better. As it is, you've alienated a lot of people here with one thread and become a bit of a laughing-stock, which is sad really, but I for one can't give your logic any more credence. It just does not stack up, and just because you want things to be so, doesn't mean they are.

As for a long song I have hated/been bored with? Of course there have been: I'm not saying ALL longs songs are great. However, that experience does not lead me to conclude that all longs songs are boring and not worthy of investigation, as it has seemed to work out for you, how I can only guess.

THAT's the difference. Ki, Rjinnx and I, and others, are prepared to understand and accept that our musical choices are not always right, but one bad song does not make us stop trying. Where would be the sense in that?

Wise up, wisdom: you're like someone straddling an ice floe (your fragmenting argument against long songs) that's breaking up and trying to maintain your balance as it splits apart. But to quote that Mostly Autumn song you didn't give a chance to, the gap is too wide and if you haven't already fallen in you will. Better learn to swim.

See ya some other time!